Saturday, August 03, 2013

New money settles problems with lawyers. Old money settles problems with cocktails.


July kind of, pretty much sucked. Nothing, and I mean nothing, seemed to go right. I am not going to sit here and bitch about it (anymore). But I need to actively do something in August to make life better, or I may have a coronary (literally or metaphorically - I haven't decided yet). I have been on the fence about a puppy for a while now. When Chance passed I thought I would need some time. But then I start to look at puppies and think, I need one. It would make me happy, but then reality sets in a little and I am like, do you have time are you ready for the limits and responsibility again. So I don't do it. But I have been more sad since Chance left and a new little guy would help. So maybe it's time. We'll see. But to end (or start) on a high note, take a look at this video of Wil Wheaton at an event in Calgary earlier this year. The visual isn't the best, but close your eyes and listen to the words. This is why he is an awesome guy, and it gives my hope that my nerd-dom is awesome too.

--
1. 18 Books in a Year:
I dialed it down in July because this goal is technically done. I read Changes - Dresden Files Book 12 and Side Jobs - Stories From The Dresden Files, both by Jim Butcher. I also started Wool by Hugh Howey, but put it down to take back up the Dresden Books. I know I was trying to throttle myself to one Butcher book a month, but I am so close to being done. I have two left, Ghost Story (which I started in July, but will finish in August) and Cold Day. I think I am going to just power through. As always you can catch my reviews on Stuck In Story Mode (www.stuckinstorymode.com). My book reviews are even caught up (as short as they are) this month. 

2. 40 Movies in a Year:
I put forth a definite effort in July for this goal. I saw 5 movies this month. I saw, White House Down, The Wolverine, Pacific Rim, RED 2, and World War Z. Unfortunately I'm still behind. There are only 21 weeks left in the year and I still have 24 movies to see. And if that isn't bad enough Stuck In Story Mode (www.stuckinstorymode.com) is behind on movie reviews. I hoping to get reviews for the 4 missing movies done this weekend, but we'll see. I am still a little worried about this goal. In the mean time here is a quick (line one line quick) review of my July movies. White House Down: exciting, but lacking imagination. The Wolverine: better than the last two but not as good as the original. Pacific Rim: ROCKED, it knocked my socks off - I loved it. RED 2: Entertaining, funny, but not as good as the first. World War Z: Blah - you aren't missing much if you don't see it.  

3. Revive thatsmyfavorite.com:
Can I change to domain on this goal? I don't understand what my problem is here, but I just can't get anything going on thatsmyfavorite.com. I didn't touch it in July.

4. Get Healthy:
So now I am taking my vitamins, eating more veggies, and drinking more water. It's all about baby steps here. Of course I should still be doing more, but I am making a conscience effort to try. Unfortunately, I feel that the stress at work is counteracting all it.

5. Keep a Paper Journal:
Status quo on this one. I am maintaining my average of twice a month since I started (in March), so I am not very far, whatever this means. It's not like I set a goals for pages by the end of the year (but that might be a good idea for next year). This goal is still alive and that is all that matters.

6. Write a Novel and/or NaNoWriMo:
I have been completely Harry Dresden-fied. I have started an outline for a contemporary magic story. We'll have to see how it goes.

7. Save $2500 for a BIG 2014 Vacation:
Back on track. I am right where I am suppose to be. Yay!

8. I Got It! Do I Need A Reason - 500 Quotes By Year's End:
Didn't do a thing with www.doineedareason.com in July, but I am already making up for in August.

9. Family Cook Book:
I am just going to hang my head in shame for this one.

10. Design Habits:
Dammit, nothing here.

11. Self Improvement:
If I had any forward momentum built up on this goal, it is gone. July pretty much sucked all the happiness, confidence and self-control out of me.

12. Get to Work On Time:
I have decided that "on time" is too relative. I also think I spend enough "extra" time to compensate for not being there on the strictest of schedules. So now this goal means to work before 8:30 and that means that July was 100%.
--

Side note: as with most things I do I tend to start projects really broadly and then realize they need to be narrowed to be successful. I Am not changing "Do I Need A Reason" I love it and that is enough, but I going to use the same script and see if I can't create something a little more narrow or maybe targeted is the right word to see if I can't get traffic up a bit and maybe get some advertising. We'll see.

###

No comments: