Tuesday, September 09, 2014

There's always money in the Banana Stand

So I was thinking of starting a Kickstarter campaign. Actually I am leaning more to Indiegogo, but that is just splitting hairs I think. Anyway I have this project that has been burning inside of me since my senior year of college. I don't want to go into too much detail (for obvious reasons), but it is design related and mostly typographic. After doing a little research and listening to some professionals I find myself more than a little discouraged.

Do you know what every pro told me was the key to their success on Kickstarter, having a large "fan" base before launching a Kickstarter. I find this discouraging because if you already have the followers why do you need Kickstarter, just pre-sale your product or service to your already established following.

And if that wasn't a big enough blow, then I came to this realization: Kickstarter is just another product driven shopping site. The word crowdfunding is deceptive. It leads you to believe that this is a place to find funding for your project, when really it is a place for people to buy things, knowing that they are not available for immediate consumption because money is needed to produce the product. This actually came out of one of the professionals mouths, "Your project should be 90% done before you even think of starting a Kickstarter campaign."

Wait..what?
I thought I was looking for funding to make my project happen. Not just money to get it fabricated.

Maybe I am so discouraged because what I want to produce isn't a single item to be purchased or perhaps not something to be purchased at all (which maybe doesn't make sense without more information about my project).

Anyway...I just wanted to rant... 

No comments: