Thursday, January 03, 2013

Let's make it a fun year


Okay, so here is my once again ambitious list of yearly goals. You'll see my usuals (books, movies, and web endeavor) , some repeats from last year cause I didn't get them done, some elaborations and hopefully some new stuff. But the theme this year really is "Let's make it fun!" I wasn't really happy with how 2012 turned out. It was a really depressing year, and if you watch the news 2013 hasn't been scheduled to be any better. So, lets make it fun.

1. 18 Books in a Year:
I usually don't set my book goal this high, but at the rate I am devouring the Dresden Files series I think it will be attainable. I have 10 books left in that series, 3 books still to read for the John Green collection, a gift from James, a recommend from Steph, 2 other series starters and classic car book that I think might be interesting. So this is ambitious but hopefull

2. 40 Movies in a Year:
I hope there are 40 movies next year that look worth seeing. This is a lower number than my actual count from 2012, but I worry because the blockbuster count is down for 2013

3. Revive thatsmyfavorite.com:
I have "owned" the domain thatsmyfavorite.com for awhile now. I have tried over the years to turn it into something, but despite my efforts nothing has worked out. I have  a simple plan this time around. I will elaborate on it a little later on. I wanted to get a couple of the details banged out, but I will say this. I am taking the sentiment to heart and am going to share some of my favorite things with you.

4. Get Healthy:
Okay, this isn't about weight...who am I kidding, this is about weight, but I am not setting a weight loss goal. I have had some worries about the blood pressure and heart rate lately, but I don't want to fix it with medication. So that is what I am going to work on, but I think a good side effect of lowering my BP will be losing a little weight.

5. Keep a Paper Journal:
I got an awesome journal this year for Christmas. I got the River Song Tardis journal!!! It has been so many years since I have taken the time to put pen to paper in this form, but I think it might help keep my thoughts and goals in perspective.

6. Write a Novel and/or NaNoWriMo:
I started a story last year that was suppose to be novel, but I never go very far in it. So I am going to try again. At the generic level a fictional novel averages about 100K words. I think that should be doable in a year. Here's the part I am not sure about, NaNoWriMo, that stands for National Novel Writing Month. It is a challenge in November to write a 50K word novel. It's an exciting challenge, but they don't want you to work from previous stories. The pledge is to do something completely new. So I might make a big push in November and do a personal NaNoWriMo, we'll see.

7. Start and Maintain a YouTube Channel:
So thanks to Hannah, Hank&John, Dan&Phil, Felicia, Ze and Craig I really want to try my hand at video content on YouTube, not necessarily vlogging but maybe. I think I will do mine more CGP Grey style (as in voice over) though.

8. Monthly Trip to Idaho:
This is is simply to buy lottery tickets. I know it seems like a waste, it probably is a waste, but you can't win if you don't try. And anyway, I am single, I own a great car and I haven't had many adventures in my life. Driving to the Idaho border is the least I can do.

9. Family Cook Book:
This one is from last year. Every time a pull out my mom's recipe book I cringe. It needs so much work. We are going to lose recipes if we don't start working on it. So let's try again.

10. Design Habits:
Working how and where I do I feel like I have lost some very important design habits. So I am going to take a little time, evaluate which I think I am most lacking in and which are most important and come up with 5-10 design habits to work on developing over the year.

11. Self Improvement:
Separate from get healthy, I know I have anxiety, stress, confidence, direction issues so I am going to try to take a little time to work on me, like meditation, organization etc.

12. Get to Work On Time:
"Technically" speaking I am usually not late to work. I have been given permission to get in between 8-8:30. For a long time I was good just splitting the difference, but for the last few months though I have been drifting dangerously close to that 8:30 mark. So I am going to try making it closer to this side of 8. This week was not a good start though. Maybe I will do better next week.
------

This seems like such a short list considering I have 4 or 5 more web projects I want to do, I want to do more challenges this year than just TAD (and maybe NaNoWriMo), I want to look at renting this year, maybe re-evaluate the job situation. Eleven Twelve is a good place to start though. 

No comments: